Sunday 21 June 2015

Burlesque legend Barbara Yung has given my tribute act her blessing!


A moment I shall never forget - speaking to 96 year old living Asian burlesque legend Barbara Yung, telling her how much she inspired me, and letting her know about my tribute act which I performed at this year's burlesque hall of fame. I wasn't sure how she was going to react, and if she'd have said "do your own thing" I'd have stopped in an instant!, but instead - and overwhelmingly - she thanked me for remembering her, and not letting her performances be forgotten, and I'm so emotional to be able to say that..... she has given my act her blessing. 

So here I am, at Hubba Hubba's Monday night revue in San Francisco, the home where you burned so brightly (and still do!) on the stages in the 1940s, performing for the first time my tribute to you, Barbara Yung, with your blessing. With an intro featuring one of your favourite pieces, Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue, followed by my own bump and grind, and named "The China Darling Showgirl" after your China Darlings of 1950” Revue at Fong’s Club Shanghai in San Francisco. You will never, ever, be forgotten. Thank you x x x 

(Special thanks to Korene, Dale and Helen who allowed me to meet my maker)

No comments:

Post a Comment